Saturday 13 September 2008

Mediterranean fish stew with saffron





This is one of my all time favourites. It's so easy to make and the saffron just adds a magic touch!
You can use any type of white fish. I usually use basa fish fillets, they are handy as I usually have them frozen in my freezer and hold together quite well when cooked for a while.

This is one of those dishes you don't feel guilty about if you eat more than your share. I found it in the Heart Foundation's healthy recipes book from the library. So it can't be too unhealthy :P

Below is the recipe, I did stick to these measurements when I first started making this dish, but it varies a lot now, sometimes I put more leek, more or less garlic, and no parsley.

Serves 6

1/2 teasp saffron threads
2 teasp olive oil, plus 2 teaps extra
700g perch fillets - (its really up to you how much fish you want to use)
1 large leek (or 2 smaller leeks), well rinshed and thinly sliced
4 garlic cloves chopped
1 cup dry white wine
4 medium ripe tomatoes, peeled and chopped (sometimes I use a can of tomatoes if I don't have fresh tomatoes handy)
1/4 cup chopped flat-leaf parsley


1 Place the saffron in a small bowl, pour 1 tablespoon of hot water over saffron and stand at least 20 mins or until needed.

2 Heat a large non-stick pan over moderate heat. Add 2 teapsoons of oil and when hot (but not smoking) add the fish. Saute until all sides are seared, about 2 mins. Remove from the pan and set aside.

3 Add the extra 2 teaspoons oil to the pan and cook leek over moderate heat until soft, about 4 mins. Add garlic and cook 2 mins, stirring constantly.

4 Stir in the wine and saffron with its soaking liquid and cook a futher 2 mins.

5 Add tomatoes and parsley and cook uncovered until the sauce thickens, about 10 mins. (If you use canned tomatoes, add about half a can of water into the pan as well. Return fish to the pan and simmer over low heat until cooked through, about a further 5 mins. Serve immediately.

I usually serve it with steamed rice.

20 mins to prepare, and 25 mins to cook.

No comments: